Wednesday, August 18, 2010

More Gorgeous Madeira Work



I've been listing some absolutely gorgeous Madeira work tablecloths in my Scottish Home eBay store, this week. They are so beautiful, and the work is so fine and detailed that they must have taken somebody many hours to make. They have obviously been professionally laundered, many years ago and then  put away. This one, pictured, still had the blue tissue paper from the laundry between the folds! They are part of a wonderful lot of old linen which I bought at auction in Glasgow, recently, and may well have come from one of the city's big, beautiful houses. They certainly look as though they have been treasured. Whenever I talk about old linens, somebody invariably asks me 'but what do people DO with them?' When I reply that they - er- use them for the purpose for which they were intended, i.e. as table and bed linens, I see a certain amount of scepticism setting in. There are people who simply can't imagine appreciating anything this old, and they certainly can't imagine having to launder and iron it. When I tell them that there are actually people who enjoy this, who love caring for these old textiles - and I'm one of them - they just shrug and turn away. Fortunately, not everyone feels the same!

2 comments:

Erna said...

Beautiful tablecloth, can imagine it lying on the table in a big Scottish Mansion.Oh I share the love for old linen with you...

Scottish Nanna said...

It Is Just beautiful I love old linnen.I volunteer at A charity shop here in Australia And you would be amazed at the linnen that we get come through the shop I often Buy some to send to my friend in America she Just loves it.I also get some for myself.Have A good Week.
Hugs Mary.