Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Old Irish Crochet Lace in Silk


This is another amazing find from the bottom of a box of very old and beautiful linen and lace but at first I didn't recognise it for what it is! Most of the Irish Crochet Lace which I have come across until now has been made in very fine cotton - but this seemed quite different, flimsy and silky. I soon realised that it was made in ultra fine silk thread - which probably indicates that it is older than usual - an Irish Crochet collar, made, with wonderful skill, in imitation of Italian Gros Point needlelace. But crochet it is - and there are shamrocks and roses among the flowers, which are so characteristic of this lovely old form of Irish lace. This looks as though it may have sat on top of a dress - it could be worn either way, with the point at the front or the back. It may well be Victorian. I think I'd be inclined to frame it up and simply admire it!

2 comments:

Erna said...

It's beautiful isn't it, and so snowy white...
Erna

Barbara said...

I just found your blog and certainly enjoy all the vintage textile and crochet items you show. I have just become interested in Irish crochet and this piece is so lovely.