Tuesday, April 21, 2009

An Old Scots Mohair Blanket from Newton Stewart

I recently came across this lovely old mohair blanket or throw, made in Cree Mills, in Newton Stewart - possibly in the 1950s or 60s although it's impossible to be sure. These old Galloway woollen mills closed in 1986 having been active for most of the century. They replaced a much older cotton mill on the same site, on the banks of the River Cree. People had told me about these wonderful old textiles in the past - how soft and light and fluffy they were, how warm, how stylish. But I hadn't seen one until this turned up. It was a little stale, having been stored, so I washed it, carefully. It's huge, and utterly gorgeous and I wish - in these somewhat straitened times - that somebody would start making more of these fabulous throws and blankets in Scotland again. I use old Ayrshire blankets all winter in this house - nothing quite so cosy against the drafts. I also put a couple of beautiful sixty year old Yorkshire blankets over our couches for the winter - leather can be chilly, but old wool with subtly colourful designs, transforms them. This vibrant and cosy Scottish throw is really a winter item - but I can imagine that it would make an excellent picnic blanket or a comfortable throw on a futon, or spare bed.

4 comments:

Scottish Nanna said...

Hi Catherine I love your blanket I remember them when I was little they were lovely and warm.
Hugs Mary,

throw said...

Looks great to me the Scottish style of throws and blankets.

Ruby Deluxe said...

I bought a Glen Cree mohair blanket today, in rural NSW, Australia, for the princely sum of $5. An absolute bargain and I gave it a gentle machine wash, it has turned out beautifully, and I am surprised it could be so old. I always buy mohairs when I come across them, as they remind me of my Mother and Grandmother, and I have a variety of different branded blankets.
Thank you for your article :)

Catherine Czerkawska said...

I can hardly believe the original post was so long ago, but I remember the blanket well, it was so beautiful. Very glad you found one and that it has turned out beautifully! I wish I could find some more like this.